Portable apps are designed to be used on a portable storage device (USB drive or portable hard drive), cloud drive (like DropBox and Google Drive), or even your local PC. If you need to complete homework on a computer that does not allow you to install and configure necessary applications, portable apps are a great solution. And there are portable versions of many open-source software applications essential for Web Development, like portable browsers and text editors.
Step 1: Install Portable Apps Platform
The best place to get portable apps is from PortableApps.com. While the PortableApps.com Platform is not required to install and run portable versions of your favorite software, it does provide many benefits. The platform ties all the portable apps together, making it easy to install new apps, upgrade existing ones, and to launch the apps when needed. It even has a backup feature to backup app settings. Currently, the platform is about a 4MB download; 8MB installed.
For installation instructions, read Installing the PortableApps.com Platform. The support page also provides answers to many of the questions you may have after installation. As stated, you should install the platform to the root directory of your portable drive (E:\). At the end of the installation, it will prompt you to check the apps you want to download and install.
Step 2: Install Useful Portable Apps
Some of the most useful apps for web development and general use are listed below by PortableApps.com category.
It's tempting to go crazy checking the portable apps you think might be necessary. However, the more apps you select at one time, the longer it will take to download and install them. Start off with just a minimum of the most essential apps. Once you are comfortable with how the platform works, you can always add more apps.
Please note: Installing XAMPP Lite should be avoided unless you are already comfortable with installing, configuring, and running a packaged local test server and know why you need it. XAMPP is not for newbies.
- Notepad++ - Full-featured text editor with syntax highlighting
- SublimeText3 - Popular text editor (not part of portableapps.com)
Note: Download portable version and extract .zip file to temporary location. Then move Sublime Text folder to Portable Apps folder on USB drive. To access from Portable Apps menu, click Apps button and choose Refresh Apps. Sublime Text will appear in Other category. To move to another category, right-click on executable and choose Category.
- XAMPP Lite - Apache, mySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin, etc in one package
NOTE: Click Download XAMPP Lite button to go to XAMPP for Windows downloads on Sourceforge.net. Open the directory for the appropriate XAMPP version, and grab the xampp-portable-win (either .zip or .7z) file. Do NOT try to use the executable (.exe) file for installation to portable drive. Basic installation instructions follow, but if you need additional help check the Apache Friends Support Forum (English forums at bottom).
Graphics & Pictures
- Blender - 3D modelling, animation, rendering, post-production, playback
- Gimp - Photo and Image Editor (open source alternative for PhotoShop)
Note: To dock floating panels/windows, choose Windows -> Single-Window mode.
- IcoFX - full-featured icon editor
- Inkscape - Vector Graphics Editor (open source alternative for Illustrator) and an excellent choice for creating SVG files
- Pencil Project - prototyping and diagramming tool
- PngOptimizer - image converter and optimizer
- FileZilla - full-featured FTP client
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Foxit Reader - small and fast PDF reader
- LibreOffice - word processor, spreadsheet, presentations with excellent compatibility
- Stickies - lightweight sticky notes
- Sumatra PDF - PDF, Comic Book, and E-book Reader
- ClamWin - Antivirus on the go
- 7-Zip - File archiver and compressor
- WinMerge - file comparison and merging